Here is how it works.
- Set up your kitchen. Know where everything is and make it convenient to find and use.
- Pick a day of the week for preparation.
- If you use recipes, pick out a few for the week.
- Make a shopping list as you think of things throughout the week.
- Purchase your ingredients.
- It is best to start cooking soon after you go shopping, but if you need to break it up into two days, at least you are getting it done in a way that works for you.
- Cooking day! Take a morning or afternoon and dedicate it to being in the kitchen. Make a soup for the week and freeze some. Make beans and/or whole grains and scoop them out as needed as you go throughout your week. Use beans/grains in soups, salads, stir-fries or just eat them plain with your favorite condiment. Bake some root vegetables. Blanch and freeze vegetables like broccoli, brussel sprouts, and kale for quick use later.
The key is to plan ahead. Although it may not seem like it at first, in the end, you save time and money and most of all your health!